duminică, 16 aprilie 2017

Monty Python’s Flying Circus, written and acted by the best comedy team ever: John Cleese, Terry Jones, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Graham Chapman and Terry Gilliam

Monty Python’s Flying Circus, written and acted by the best comedy team ever: John Cleese, Terry Jones, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Graham Chapman and Terry Gilliam

A different version of this note and thoughts on other books are available at:


Monty Python was the best comedy team in the world.
Controversial, yes, but still the greatest.

There are some documentaries about this magnificent team.
And I have seen a couple yesterday.

In order to give you an idea about the humor of the Flying Circus, you could try this one sketch, about the Norwegian Blue:


As it happens, I have a couple of Norwegian Parrots, only they are not Norwegian, but macaws and only one is blue and gold.
And even if I dislike the idea of mocking a stuffed macaw and kick him around the shop table, I still find it hilarious:

-          “MR. PRALINE
-          John Cleese
-          SHOP OWNER
-          Michael Palin
-          The sketch:

-          A customer enters a pet shop.

-          Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

-          (The owner does not respond.)

-          Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?

-          Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

-          Mr. Praline: (pause) I’m sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

-          Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

-          Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

-          Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's, uh...What's wrong with it?

-          Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

-          Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

-          Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

-          Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

-          Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

-          Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!

-          Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you show...”

Their humor is best quoted, for there is no other way to render or try to talk about it, never mind explain it.
In another sketch that I loved, a guest is on the set in a TV talk show and the host is starting to get too close and rude:

-          Can I call you Eddie?

The expert invited on the set is Sir Edward Ross, but he is soon descended from that title to a demeaning, outrageous storm of ridiculous, preposterous labels:

-          “Host: I didn't really call you 'Eddie Baby', did I, sweetie?

-          Ross: Don't call me 'sweetie'!

-          Host: Can I call you 'sugar plum'?

-          Ross: No.

-          Host: 'Pussycat'?

-          Ross: No!

-          Host: 'Angel drawers'?

-          Ross: No you may not! Get on with it!

-          Host: Can I call you 'Frank'?

-          Ross (suspiciously): Why 'Frank'?

-          Host: It's a nice name. Richard Nixon's got a hedgehog called Frank.

-          Ross: What IS going on?”

You can find the sketches on the internet, YouTube for the films or here for the scripts:


-           

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu